Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Polly Want a Cracker? Maybe Indian Food Instead?

Hey! Pennal?  Ya - it's quaint - and small.  But since I've been in the UK I've done my share of sightseeing... and even learned to drive on the left side of the road!  Yes, it is different than what I am used to but I'm a fast learner.

We are in Wales after four days in London sightseeing.   Yesterday was a week, and we've learned to build fires to keep us warm and to heat our water for cleaning, dishes and showers.  Let me tell you - you only push the glass door shut with your fingers ONCE before you learn that skin singes instantly when something is that hot!  But the good advantage of this is that this hot fire dries clothes unbelievable fast!  Seriously - it dries big heavy towels, my jeans, sweatshirts, etc in 15 min.  A dryer doesn't work that fast!  And look at the money saved!


The first week here was mostly dry.  It's now cold and rainy and I have forgotten what the sunshine feels like on my face. 

We went to the beach!  To my shock, it was covered in rocks!  I've never seen such a harsh beach before.  I sat up in the sand of the dunes, but Victoria and Howl pretty much stayed down by the water since Howl loves the water.  It was great to sit in the sun and listen to the ocean lap up against the little bit of sand on this beach.  This particular beach is on the opposite side of not only a train track, but also a golf course in which you have to walk across.  There are literally signs that say to stop and look left/right for golfers - since golf balls do damage.  Ya think?  Fore!  

(Just in case you were wondering..."Fore" is another word for "ahead" (think of a ship's fore and aft). Yelling "fore" is simply a shorter way to yell "watch out ahead" (or "watch out before"). It allows golfers to be forewarned, in other words.
The British Golf Museum cites an 1881 reference to "fore" in a golf book, establishing that the term was already in use at that early date (the USGA suggests the term may have been in use as early as the 1700s). The museum also surmises that the term evolved from "forecaddie.")




The house is cute.  Built in the 1800s, the doorways are lower and Victoria finds herself forgetting to duck!   The only heat we have is from the fireplace and we find ourselves getting a lot of fire-building practice! After a while, it's nice and cozy in the family room - but the other rooms are still a bit chilly.  Thank goodness for a warm blanket on the bed.  

The animals here are a trip.  Howl is the dog.  The two cats are 'Monkey Cat' and 'Merlin'.  Oh and did I mention the chicken, Polly?  She's a hoot.  She hears the door and comes running.  She wants food.  Not just corn, but cut-up leftovers of whatever we eat.  Hmmm, we are having Indian tonight - wonder if she likes spicy foods?  She also stalks me.  If she doesn't see me, she'll get up on a bench outside and stare at me through the window.   She apparently likes the table too.  I suppose no surface is safe from Polly.



Till we meet again.

Love ~ Peace ~Happiness
Marianne

6 comments:

  1. Great blog entry Marianne, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like your having a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing. I want to see more photos and videos! Wish i was there with you!
    Hugs
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having a blast! Wish you could be here too! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad I'm facebook friends with Henry N. Caswell ...He wanted to show us something from Wales.. And here you are.. Since I have a blog on blogger.. which I have.. I thought OH.. I must follow you.. and join in on your ventures...

    Looks like you are having a wonderful time in this land of Wales..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Babsy! It's nice to meet you! Thanks for following :) and Harry is an awesome guy. I miss stopping in to see him!

      Delete