Monday, March 26, 2012

Polperro - feels like a lost world

My friend Keb mentioned to me that I had not visited his favorite town of Polperro... I can see what he likes about it.  Polperro is a village and fishing harbour in southeast Cornwall.  I am including some pictures of it I took myself from Google street view.  Seems very "quaint" and pretty.  The Polperro Festival is the 3rd week in June - stop by and enjoy if you are in the area! :)

** April 18, 2012 UPDATE
One of our favorite places we've discovered is this quaint chocolate shop in Polperro (thanks Keb!)
It's name is The Chocolate Dream Company.  We'd messaged them on Facebook and yesterday finally heard back from them! Since then we have befriended them and I have personally spoken with Maz - the owner - on Facebook and am anxiously looking forward to meeting her on my trip to the UK!  This will definitely be one of my stops!  

Ok... Commence drooling......


Be sure to go to their facebook page and LIKE them!  and stop in and buy some chocolate if you are in the area!  http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Chocolate-Dream-Company/170328106329243

** Origional Blog ** 
Polperro's history is one of fishing and smuggling and now, tourism.  Here's what Wikipedia has to say about smuggling and Polperro:

Smuggling is understood to have prospered since Polperro developed as a port in the 12th century.[9] It reached its zenith in the late 18th century when Britain's wars with America and France precipated the high taxation of many imported goods, making it worthwhile for the local fishermen to boost their income by the covert importation of spirits, tobacco and other goods from Guernsey. Much of the success of the smuggling trade through Polperro is ascribed to the influence of Zephaniah Job (1749–1822), a local merchant who became known as "The Smuggler's Banker". A more organised Coast Guard service was introduced in the 19th century along with stiff penalties, and led to much less smuggling. Part of the South West Coast Path was originally used by Revenue Officers as they patrolled the coast in search of smugglers. Whilst the Coast Path is maintained by the National Trust, the foreshore belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall.

I could see spending a weekend touring some of these shops, couldn't you?

This patio of this hotel looks so inviting!  A glass of wine and a good book while people watching would be so fun from here! 


Not sure what this house was but I was intrigued by it.

I liked the name of this shop :)




Wonders if the bakery is for sale or just the building? Maybe above it? You'd spend your entire time working hungry from all the amazing smells, I'm sure!

We all must stop and thank God for our blessings :)


If you happen to be there - send me a postcard!


I think the tram takes you down to the shore.
The town streets are so small they do not allow you to drive on them anymore (well not tourists at least).

Have you all seen an infatuation with me and ice cream lately?  Do we even have half of these flavors in the US?  Like Honeycombe?

Love ~ Peace ~ Happiness
Marianne

No comments:

Post a Comment